Suspended Floor with Foil

Questions, comments and suggestions about the Design Navigator R-value calculator

Suspended Floor with Foil

Postby lukewellington » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi,
Could you please tell me how to go about modelling a suspended timber floor with reflective foil attached to the underside of the floor joists. I am unsure what value to put for the insulation as there is nothing else other than the foil and I have read that the foil itself does not have an R-value.

Thanks
lukewellington

Re: Suspended Floor with Foil

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi Luke,

You could enter it as shown below:

However, Clause H1 allows you to assume that any suspended and sheltered floor with foil has an R-value of at least R-1.3.
Clause H1 Replacement Table 1:
(4) Carpets or floor coverings are not included in the floor R-value. The floor R-value is met by concrete slab-on-ground
and suspended floors with continuous closed perimeter with 100 mm draped foil. Exposed floors will require
additional treatment (e.g. pole houses).

Hope that helps.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby kanim686 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks for your kind info :D
kanim686

Postby eion.scott » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Albrecht, do you know if sisalation foil can be recycled? Suspect most is dumped, so wondering why it's removed at all during bulk insulation retrofit. Is there any issue with condensation if it's slit and folded up against the floor and held up by the new insulation? I'm thinking it's on the warm side of the thermal envelope, so not sure why moisture could be a problem?
eion.scott

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi Eion,

Hmmm, not sure. I don't think it can be recycled. The aluminium content is probably so small that it does not make ecological and economical sense. Roman Jaques from BRANZ probably knows for sure.

I did a bit of research on the EECA website but did not come up with any clear answers why it needs to be removed. I do believe that it has something to do with moisture issues. You are correct that the foil is on the warm side of the bulk insulation. That means condensation should normally not be an issue.

The difference to the status quo is that there is no air gap between the foil and the underside of the floor. So that means that any moisture could not evaporate as easily, in particular if you have point sources of moisture (a dripping pipe, a spilled bucket of water, etc.)

Sorry, am not of a lot of help here :(

Cheers

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby Kisame » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Is a formula that has principles
Kisame

Return to Design Navigator R-Value Calculator